Olara Otunnu Calls for UN Reform in Bid to Become Next Secretary-General

Former UN under-secretary-general says the organization must restore its moral authority and adapt to a changing world.

Ugandan diplomat Olara Otunnu has called for sweeping reforms at the United Nations as he campaigns to become the organisation’s next secretary-general, urging member states to reject “business as usual” and work to restore the UN’s moral authority.

Otunnu, a former UN under-secretary-general and special representative for children and armed conflict, made the remarks on Wednesday during an informal dialogue with UN member states and civil society representatives assessing candidates to succeed Antonio Guterres. Guterres is due to step down at the end of the year after serving two five-year terms.

Speaking about the challenges facing the global organisation, Otunnu argued that reform has become essential as the UN confronts growing geopolitical divisions, declining public confidence and criticism over the cost and effectiveness of its operations.

He said the organisation must become more effective and responsive while helping bridge divisions between countries.

Otunnu also highlighted the need to rebuild the UN’s moral authority, using the Prayer of St. Francis to frame his vision of an organisation capable of promoting peace, reconciliation and hope amid global crises.

At 75, Otunnu is the oldest of the eight candidates currently seeking the position. Ecuadorian diplomat Ivonne Baki, also 75, joined the race this week.

The selection process is being led through consultations involving UN member states, with the 15-member Security Council expected to conduct another informal poll on Friday.

A first straw poll held in late July placed former Costa Rican Vice President Rebeca Grynspan as the early frontrunner, followed by former Guyanese Foreign Minister Carolyn Rodrigues-Birkett and Rafael Grossi, head of the UN nuclear watchdog.

Other candidates include former Chilean President Michelle Bachelet, former Ecuadorian Foreign Minister Maria Fernanda Espinosa and former Senegalese President Macky Sall.

The eventual candidate will need broad support within the Security Council, including avoiding opposition from any of its five permanent members: China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States.

The selection process is expected to continue through several rounds of consultations and could conclude around late September or early October, although the timeline could extend if member states fail to reach consensus.

For Otunnu, the campaign represents a return to the international institution where he previously held a senior leadership role. His central message is that the UN must reform, regain credibility, and strengthen its ability to respond to an increasingly divided world.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Leave a comment